Friday, August 13, 2010

M&Ms

Brown Orange Yellow Tan Green.

When I was a kid M&Ms matched the interior of my house (built circa '75). And I liked it that way.

I grew up during the time period when Red was removed because of the Amaranth scare. (Amaranth was found to be a carcinogen, although according to Wikipedia it was never actually used in red M&Ms.) I remember a line in Peggy Sue Got Married when Kathleen Turner goes back in time and tells someone to "save the red ones" and my mom explained to me that M&Ms used to have Red and Purple. I guess when Red was reintroduced in the mid 80s it was briefly exciting. That is, until I realized I didn't like red. Once Tan was replaced by Blue it was all over. Who did M&M think they were? Skittles?

Having said all that, I do remember a trip to the FAO Schwartz candy department that ended with me purchasing about 2 lbs. worth of Black and Periwinkle M&Ms, and the subsequent chocolate binge that followed. So, like they say, color really doesn't matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment