Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Sweet San Diego

This past week I visited San Diego for the first time in about ten years. This was also the first trip I've taken with the food blog in mind. I actually researched fun places beforehand and made a food itinerary of sorts. The thing about itineraries though, I always break away from them. I still visited a few of my places but for the most part my friend and I snacked at whatever looked interesting.

As much as I love eating out and taking pictures of my food, sitting down and recording my experiences is still something I'm not accustom to doing every day. Over the next week I'm going to try my best to write about all the wonderful food adventures I had in San Diego. For now, I'll just offer up a sampling of some of the sweeter spots I hit.


Pappalecco, in Hillcrest, was supposed to be a quick stop for me. I needed to get change to feed the parking meter while we waited for seats at the Hash House. However when I walked in, the aroma of coffee hit me and I saw their display case filled with lots of teeny tiny cookies. I bought a sampling of cookies and put them in my purse for later. (They got a little crumbly but I enjoyed them after dinner while I sat on the beach and watched surfers.)


Another notable cookie joint was the Girard Gourmet in La Jolla. They serve lots of different foods, kinda like a fancy deli, but it was the desserts in the window that caught my eye. I can't really explain it, but they had a sort of vintage look. Traditional desserts with simple yet elegant designs. I bought a cat cookie who seemed to be saying, "Don't munch on me."


And of course I bought a Shamu ice cream treat at Sea World. It's what one does.


Here are some other store fronts I walked by. I'm intrigued by the donut shop offering egg rolls. An oddity, or genius?

1 comment: