Saturday, May 8, 2010

Egg In The Basket


I am an Anglophile. I will defend British food until my dying breath. (Which just might be from a massive coronary.) Recently Saturdays have become my official Brit food day as I curl up on the couch and watch the new seasons of Doctor Who and the Graham Norton show. Last weekend BBC America aired V for Vendetta and V prepared a traditional English breakfast called Egg In the Basket. (Or as some say, Eggy In the Basket.) I thought this looked delicious and decided to try it this morning. It was surprisingly simple.


All you need is 2 slices of bread (or just 1 if you don't want a bottom), an egg, butter and a drinking glass. I also prepared beans as the side.


Take the butter and melt it in the pan. Use the glass to create a hole in the bread. Place the bread in a frying pan, making sure to soak it in the butter. Break the egg into the glass and carefully pour it into the opening in the bread.


The only tricky part is flipping over the egg/bread combo to toast the other side, but if you've let the egg cook enough it should be properly fused with the bread. The finished product is pictured below. I spread jam on the leftover bread circle. I had a teapot going too, which meant I was using 3 out of 4 burners on my stove. That might be a record!


2 comments:

  1. I never heard of either of those shows. (and who only wants 1 slice of bread...seriously?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the first time I made it, I thought you needed a second piece to hold the egg in. Once I realized how easily the egg fused with the bread I didn't need the second piece. But yeah, who turns down a buttery delicious piece of toast? :)

    ReplyDelete