Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mountain Sun Pub & Brewery

Last fall I visited my friend Bridget in Boulder and one of our first stops was Mountain Sun. Colorado is known for it's microbreweries and although I hadn't heard of this one before, I was very eager. Mountain Sun is located off of Boulder's main pedestrian thoroughfare, Pearl St. The inside is cozy, very pub-ish. There's an open kitchen towards the back, and as you walk to the bathrooms you can spot the brewery itself, where everyone's hard at work making sweet delicious BEER.

The beer itself is of a very high quality. I noticed on their menu they include the OG (original gravity) and the TG (terminal gravity) of each beer. I'm not going to pretend I know what this means, it has to do with sugars and fermenting and such. What's important is THEY know what it means and feel it's important enough to inform the beer nerds.

Usually when I go to a new brewery I order the sampler. It's lots of fun to try different varieties and I've noticed with microbrews especially, not every beer "works." Most of the time these samplers consist of 6 to 8 tiny glasses of that brewery's most popular beers. Mountain Sun does not skimp. When the beers arrived, all Bridget and I could think was how close we came to ordering two samplers. We had quite a hill to climb. But we're strong girls and we love our beer.

My favorite beer was their Ginger, quickly followed by the Belgian Dip Chocolate Stout. Even their IPA was tolerable, and I'm usually not a hop-y gal. According to their website there's a Scotch Ale I'm eager to try but it's a winter seasonal beer. Oh well, next time!

My friend and I didn't order any food but the menu looked good. The emphasis was on fresh, organic ingredients while every dish could still be classified as "pub food." What I found interesting was that every employee worked every job. Someone who was your server one day could end up cooking your food the next. Not sure how well this actually worked, but I guess that's what happens when hippies take over a brewery ;)

http://mountainsunpub.com


No comments:

Post a Comment