Sunday, May 30, 2010

Toad in the Hole


I went a little overboard with British food Saturday today. My friend Kevin and I streamed the Eurovision song contest, a tradition of sorts, and as the wonderfully terrible music played I prepared my latest dish. Toad in the Hole. I'm not sure how I would classify Toad in the Hole, perhaps a casserole? Basically, you cook sausages and then pour a batter over them. You bake the dish for about 20 min and the result is sausages encased in a flaky dough.

It actually turned out pretty good! The sausages ended up sitting on top of the dough more than being encased, and if I did it again I would use a smaller casserole dish, but otherwise a success! It helped that I used actual pork sausages from Ireland, they weren't very expensive yet you could taste the quality. And it was lucky that the dough rised- I guess a flat Toad in the Hole is called Frog in the Bog! Ha!

The British menu continued with Spotted Dick. I didn't put much effort into it, it was Spotted Dick in a Can. I placed the can in boiling water for 30 min (as the directions said) and when I opened it, a warm raisined cake slipped out. (Sound appetizing?) It was tasty.


1 comment:

  1. If someone said "Spotted Dick" to me I'd tell him to see a doctor asap.

    ReplyDelete