Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cupcakeries

Like little mushrooms on a forest bed, cupcakeries are popping up everywhere and I really couldn't be happier. Cupcakeries are so beautiful in their simplicity. Cupcakes, lots of cupcakes, in a variety of flavors. Cupcakeries are usually well lit, very clean, and smell nice. And pleasant little rows of cupcakes are aesthetically pleasing, if not mouth watering.

The first cupcake bakery that I was aware of was Magnolia Bakery in New York City. Magnolia doesn't work exclusively with cupcakes but that's what they're most known for. The lines go around the block on the weekends, just for 30 seconds in front of their beautiful cupcake counter. The last time I had Magnolia was on my 30th birthday and fortunately I went there at night- no wait. (They sell single candles at the register- brilliant idea.)


The second cupcake bakery I went to was in Boulder, CO, called Tee & Cakes. Again, this wasn't really a true cupcakery since they offer other baked items as well. They get an A+ on design though, doing things like placing coke bottle jellies on coke flavored cupcakes, etc. There's also a design shop inside the bakery where you can buy t-shirts and other art.

Now in Tucson, there are three cupcakeries that I know about. Red Velvet, Mini's,
and Cupcakes. I tried Cupcakes, at Swan and Grant, last week. Their website impressed me, beautiful photos, a huge variety of flavors, and a menu that listed exactly what days of the week certain flavors are available. When I walked in the bakery I was greeted by friendly staff and a dazzling array of cupcakes. Their cupcakes are fancy smancy. The frosting is higher than the cupcake itself and it's sparkly. Kinda like eating fairy dust. And the flavor I tried, Rich and Famous- or chocolate cake with chocolate icing, had an edible pearl on top. The only problem- it was too much, even for me, and that's saying a lot. The chocolate was super rich and I ended up scraping off half the icing. What a waste.

Mini's Cupcakes, at La Encantada, was also a bit of a disappointment. They had a wide variety of flavors and I got their Red Velvet cupcake as well as their Champagne & Strawberry cupcake. I wasn't impressed with either. The cake itself was dry and the red velvet didn't have the traditional hint of chocolate.

Red Velvet Cupcakery, Park & University, on the other hand, was just right. Along with their signature flavor, Red Velvet, my other favorites are B-Day (almond cake with sprinkles) and Peanut Butter Cup. Their frosting is rich and smooth, not too sugary. Their cakes are always moist. And I'm a sucker for free food, if you arrive late enough and order a few cupcakes, they usually throw in an extra one.

Well I am off to watch the season premiere of Cupcake Wars on Food Network. EAT DRINK BE MERRY.

No comments:

Post a Comment