Sunday, June 13, 2010

What's in a Name?

I've noticed a pattern among my favorite restaurants. Most of them have first or last names in their title. Chaffin's, Suzie's, Lindy's, Brawley's, etc. I'd like to think the reason for this is the focus is on the food and the title is an afterthought.

Last night I got drinks at 47 Scott in downtown Tucson. In my experience when a restaurant is named after its street address it can mean either two things: it's unassuming or it wants to SEEM unassuming and is actually in fact quite pretentious. My vote is still out on 47 Scott.

On one hand, the drinks were delicious. I had something called Dark and Stormy, which consisted of dark rum, lime, bitters, and the restaurant's own housemade ginger syrup. (My phone takes very bad pictures in low lighting, so another friend used his phone to light up the drink. This photo truly was a group effort!)

The drinks are decently priced as well. Happy hours consist of $2 wells and $1 PBR (ha!). I was impressed with the food prices too- my pommes frites were only $3. My only complaint was service. My friends and I were sitting on the back patio and despite the low volume of customers it still took awhile to get any service. And when I asked for my fries to go, the waiter looked at me like I had spit in his face. (It then took another 10-15 min to actually get the box.)

So does 47 Scott fit in the pretentious category? I'm still not sure. I'm willing to give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment